Pages on the site

Thursday, 16 July 2026

SQ4 - maintenance

 After a run to Norwich today, 55 miles at 27.4 mph average speed (according to my new Beeline sat-nav) the Square started making an odd noise on the way home, a bit of a squeak from the engine sounding perhaps like a leaky head gasket. I stopped for coffee at the lovely Itteringham community shop:

After going on to reserve on the way home, I thought I would have a look at the plugs and do a compression test and the picture shows the result. All four plugs are the same colour, dark chocolate, all dry, numbers two, three and four all gapped to 18 thou but number one was gapped to more like 25-28 thou, which I corrected.  

Compression figures are good and consistent at 130-140 psi.

Restarting the engine after I had put the plugs back in revealed that the squeak had gone. Now I am worrying about the oil pressure on the last part of the trip home...

No comments:

Post a Comment