Wednesday, 12 July 2017

Girder Fork Damper 'Wing Nut'

Since I've had the W/NG, the 'wing nut' used to adjust the fork dampers has been missing a wing. Unable to find a new one, and not afraid of trying anything new (especially when challenged by other AOMCC members) I decided to repair the old one.


One thing i don't much like about old bike restoration is the notion that you can buy a new part rather than repair the old - replacing bits is not 'restoration' to me. This is the old nut, removed and cleaned up:


I selected a bit of scrap, the flattened end of a stop cock key:


I chopped a useful bit off and filed it up to shape. Near the end of shaping, I heated the new part and flattened it where I was to weld:


Old part and replacement end:


Set up in the vice for welding:


As usual, I used the TIG to weld it up, set to about 45 Amps with the tungsten ground with a shallow angle to give better penetration:


Next. some more filing. Not looking too bad here, but needs more work; the new end looks distinctly heavier than the original:


And back in place, ready to get some patina:


No comments:

Post a Comment