Sunday 31 May 2020

QR50 - that kickstarter again...

I'm sure this thing is going to follow me to my grave. Something as simple as a kickstart should be a five minute job shouldn't it? As you know, I've restored the splined shaft twice already which involved overlaying weld onto the shaft and making a dividing tool for the 31 tooth serrated shaft. It seemed to take ages.

So what now? the lever fitted didn't it? Well yes it did. But look:


Well OK, it's a bit bent. but that's not what I mean. Look here:


Try and kick it, and the foot pedal folds the wrong way - it's a right hand kick start lever.

Yet another job - a good lesson in buying a box of bits. You never know what you are getting - this has been more difficult than the SQ4 and much more difficult than the FH in terms of missing, broken or inappropriate parts so I guess, if we consider the expense of Ariel parts I guess I have been lucky.

Anyhow, not too difficult a job. First task is to centre punch and drill off that swage:


Now we can remove the foot pedal. We'll drill that pin for a screw later:


Here's the part of the lever that controls the way the pedal folds. We will need to fill that with weld using the TIG set and file up a mirror image:


Filling stuff with weld has become a bit of a speciality recently.


After a bit of filing, it now works as a left hand kickstart:


Here it is in both positions. The pedal is a bit bent, but we will fix that:


To retain the pedal, I have drilled and tapped for M6 in the end of the lever. The pedal is now retained with the original shakeproof and plain  washers by a large M6 set screw:



We'll paint it later, and put the rubber back on.

No comments:

Post a Comment