Saturday 20 April 2024

FH - Lucas HF1441 horn

While waiting for bits for the QR50, I took the opportunity to refinish the horn for the Huntmaster. It tests OK in that it pulls a current and deflects the diaphragm, so some adjustment will have it working.

Lucas catalogues are very useful. This is catalogue 716A, section F - six pages of horns and horn pushes. The application page tells you which part number you should have:


In the case of my 1958 Huntmaster, it's a HF1441 model horn, part number 70048. The spares list tells us a bit about it:


It's black, and looks like this:


So, I had the correct horn (bought from eBay I think - it was missing from the kit) and all I needed to do was strip it and give it a coat of paint.

First up was the various bits of bracket:

It’s good to clean the points in these horns, but this nut is usually very tight and it retains the diaphragm to around the moving point. I had it soaking in Plus-Gas for a few days but I couldn't shift it:


Since the horn worked I gave up and cleaned the old paint off with emery tape. 

I painted it with the usual U-Pol etch primer and gloss black. I know the tone disc is supposed to be black, as is the nut, but it looks nice like this: 


No comments:

Post a Comment