Friday 23 September 2022

FH Dry Build - Centre Stand

First published February 2022

 One of the dry build jobs that I had to deal with was the centre stand. Some years ago - 2014 actually - I had repaired the feet which were completely worn out and recorded the experience here.

I put it back on the bike once the exhausts were in place to have a look. I knew the stand would fit the frame, but it's all the other parts that it has to fit around that are the problem. Here you can see two issues - one, that the stand leg is bent - in fact they are both bent, a common problem and two, that the foot fouls the exhaust: 


With the stand off, you can see that the stops are a bit worn - maybe worth building up, maybe not.


To deal with the bent leg, I have put an old sidestand in the pivot eye, and heated the leg up - it has bent back quite easily.


Next problem - the feet. Do they look uneven?


I've got 30 mm from leg to inside the foot on one side:


And I've got 25 mm on the other! I think that's why it fouls the exhaust.

Maybe I'll have to remove that foot and extend the tube a few millimetres.

September 2022 Update

Months later, coming round to this job at last I turned the bike around in the garage to have a look at the stand foot. The first thing I realised was that the exhaust bracket in front of the engine was not touching the frame; the second was that the silencer was considerably further outboard than the other. The footrest was not fully home on it's spline! I took this picture with the footrest off:

Hey presto, no fouling problem!

No comments:

Post a Comment