Thursday 1 September 2022

W/NG - fixing the dribbling

 Over the past couple of weeks, I've noticed the W/NG float bowl has been overflowing - but only before I start the engine. When it's running, the leak stops - presumably the needle seats a bit better with the movement, or perhaps the engine uses what little fuel is leaking. This probably contributed to the starting problems my son was having a few weeks back.

Anyhow, I resolved to sort this out, initially by having a look and cleaning any debris from the bowl or from the fuel pipe, but this had no effect. The bike has a new fuel filter so there wasn't much in there anyway.

At the suggestion of a couple of guys in the AOMCC, I lapped the needle into it's seat usng Brasso. I dropped a slug of Brasso down the fuel connection:


Followed by the needle, which looked like new:

I held the needle in the chuck of my pillar drill and ran it for a few seconds, allowing the weight of the float bowl to hang on the needle.

The needle now has a thin, continuous ring around it, showing where the Brasso has worn the seat a little. It now seals perfectly, and reseats when I operate the tickler.

No comments:

Post a Comment