Wednesday 12 April 2023

W/NG - kickstart repair

 There's always something. There I am, minding my own business and riding the W/NG to my current house renovation project and thinking I've done most of the work on it, when the kickstart fails. It sometimes jams, failing to move the engine and feeling very solid. This is why:

See the first tooth on the quadrant? It's jammed against the pinion. The second tooth will do this too and the way to remedy it is to put the bike in gear, move it a fraction (to move the mainshaft pinion) and kick again, when it will work.

Trouble was, this time I wasn't paying attention and gave it a mighty kick, breaking the quadrant. Damn thing is only 80 years old:

Ariel owners are blessed with the splendid AOMCC, one of the most friendly clubs I have come across and with a superb spares scheme. I had a new quadrant in two days, and given that I had asked the gearbox spares man to find me a new one on Easter Monday (I'm writing this on Wednesday) I think that is pretty impressive.

It's all fixed now.

No comments:

Post a Comment