Thursday 15 June 2023

W/NG - An unexpected event

A few weeks ago I was cracking on home on the W/NG, doing 55-60 up the North Walsham by-pass (the old Midland & Great Northern alignment to Honing) when she suddenly cut out. After finishing the ignition checks I kicked it over to find apparently no compression. I popped the exhaust valve cap off for a look, found nothing and a few minutes later she started OK and carried me home apparently fine.

Stuck valve perhaps? She was pretty hot...

At home, I put the endoscope down the bore for a look and it was clear there had been a partial seizure at some point. Thinking about it, there had been a squeak from the rear tyre and a little shimmy at the back end, and I'd had the clutch in very quickly.

Pulling the head off you  could see the scuff in the bore very clearly:


The rings were OK, apart from the fact that the second ring was tight in it's groove. Hardly surprising really:


Rightly or wrongly, I polished this out. Doubtless someone will tell me I should have replaced the piston.

I built this tool to hold the barrel while I honed it - it's just a couple of bits of plywood:


You can mount it in the vice either way, but this is the most convenient for honing. I mounted it vertically to grind the cylinder head to barrel joint.


I used a cylinder hone to clean up the bore. Hopefully these honing marks will retain a bit more oil...


I also replaced the inlet valve which was very loose - the new one had an interference fit in the head but was a smaller bore size - too small for my valve stem. I bored it on the lathe to change the diameter from 5/16" to 3/8", but writing this post I've realised I probably have an exhaust valve in the inlet position... 

Anyhow, it's all gone back together and is running beautifully, apart from a pesky leak from the decompressor. I've reverted to fibre rocker box gaskets (I can't get the aluminium ones to seal) but I've still got a weep from the decompressor, which has a very worn stem. 

It'll take a bit of work to fix that as I want to re-engineer the sealing arrangement, but that will have to wait. It's been OK for the last 70 years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment