Tuesday, 29 September 2026

Charlie's Shed - USB charging port

 Lately I have been using my Beeline motorcycle sat nav which I won in a competition (I'll tell you about that another time) and I have been worrying that it will flatten my phone batteries - consequently I've decided to fit the same USB charger as I have on the W/NG to the Huntmaster.

I buy these from eBay for about £15 - they are very nicely made.



The eBay description says:

  • Square Dual USB Super Fast Charge + Voltmeter
  • Input voltage: DC12V
  • Monitorable voltage range: 6-30V
  • Product material: ABS high and low temperature resistant flame retardant environmental protection material
  • Qualcomm 3.0 quick charging standard
  • Output voltage: 5V3.4A/9V2.5A /12V2A

I found that they seem to work perfectly well coupled to a six volt battery because of course I'm only looking for a five volt output from the USB ports. The voltmeter is quite useful if you can actually see it - but you use it for diagnostics not when you are riding your bike!

You have the option to fit these things with a bracket or a handlebar clip and they come with a length of cable and a fuse holder.

I wanted to fit the charger inside my left knee above the battery and in front of the toolbox and I made a stainless steel bracket to bolt underneath the dynamo regulator.

As you can see in the picture it's too low and you can't get the battery back in. I might modify this bracket or make a new one to give it higher and further in board to allow it to stay in this position:


Nevertheless I can wire it up and show it working:


Until I get around to making another bracket, for which I really need to remove either the seat or the toolbox or both, I will use the handlebar mount and fit the charger above the Monimoto, behind the toolbox.



No comments:

Post a Comment