Saturday, 18 April 2015

Maintenance

Well, the Square is finally in the garage (as opposed to the workshop/shed/summerhouse where I restored it) and is getting into the swing of being a mode of transport rather than a project. Well, nearly...

I'm going to try and ride it a little every day now it is nearby, at least when I am not away working, and that should build up some miles: and of course that means maintenance.

I'd puzzled over the best way to fill the primary cases. The big filler hole is directly above the level plug and I had formed the opinion that dribbling oil into the filler ran down the inside of the case, around the footrest tunnel and out of the level hole, and that my primary case didn't have any oil in it, because none came out of the chain oiler. So I left the drain plug in and poured a decent amount of oil into the filler...

And out it came, pouring from the clutch cover drain! The primary case obviously doesn't hold much oil. I drained it all out again via the level hole, and hoped it hadn't gone all over the clutch plates.


A little trip out, to check the tyre pressures at the local garage, proved that all was well with the clutch.

I adjusted the front brake a little - it is really not very effective. The rear one is good though, fortunately.
  

No comments:

Post a comment