Friday 30 July 2021

Model A - Front Mudguard

Since the FH is going to need some floor space pretty soon, I will need to move the Model A. I may even move the A onto the bench - we will see. I have had a front mudguard standing in its place for a while, which falls off every time i move the bike, so I really need to get that fixed.

I've had some black mild steel flat bar knocking about which I bought to make mudguard brackets like this and a dose of bending around various bits of scrap (a 6" length of scaffold pole is very useful in the workshop) had it more or less in shape.

The target shape was defined by various AOMCC members, notably Stan, providing pictures of original brackets.


I fitted the front stay first and let that dictate the mudguard's relationship to the wheel rim. I used an electronic level to establish the correct position of the stay, by measuring the angle from pictures of other bikes


The rolled edge of the guard needs to be flattened where the stay fits, in order to accommodate the width of this original stay:


Once I was convinced the guard was in the right place, I drilled the mounting holes to the forks:


Some time on the linisher had the ends rounded off and looking tidy:


In amongst the pile of bits that came with the Model A were both of the original number plate mounts and the number plate.


I placed these using a couple of reference pictures that I got from members of the AOMCC.

No comments:

Post a Comment