Monday 8 May 2023

W/NG - Dealing with leaks

 Long fast club runs tend to reveals failings in your bike, especially when 'given the beans' by other riders. You know who you are! The oil leaks that have plagued the W/NG really made themselves felt on the 87 mile run around Norfolk that the VMCC Blakeney Run entailed. It was clear that the oil was coming from the top end, but I wasn't sure if it was the decompressor, the rocker box gaskets or the cylinder head bolts.

Having spent some resealing the decompressor recently, I removed the rocker boxes to take a look revealing that the existing aluminium gaskets did not fit at all well:


 I resolved to make some new gaskets.


I made these from Flexitallic pink gasket sheet, which I think is rated to 350°C. I made the gasket a bit wider than the aluminium one, to make sure it covered the whole joint. I sealed it in place with Threebond 1215.

Preliminary testing suggests this has sorted most of the problem, but the decompressor is still weeping a bit. I'll have to add some more shims.

No comments:

Post a Comment