Monday 6 May 2024

FH - assembling the inner timing case

 Lots of work faces now, but an interim look at the cylinder head reveals that the valves and guides are beyond use - there is a couple of millimetres of rock at the edge of the valve head, with the valve half out of the guide. 

So, while I wait for a new set of guides, valves and springs let's start on the timing gear. Fitting the pinions is straightforward once I have deburred the Woodruff keys. The timing is set to the marks:

I've cleaned the dynamo straps since you have to have the inner timing case off to fit them. I'll plate these at some stage if I'm not too busy riding the bike:


The oil pressure release valve has been through the ultrasonic bath and has a new 5/16" ball. The old one was grooved and rusty:


Next, for the record, the pump drive washer is fitted:


I've made a small spacer from gasket paper for the end of the pump. Each of the stud threads has been cleaned up and fitted with blue Loctite thread lock:


I've used the original deep nuts - I've flattened these and recut the threads, adding a chamfer:


If you read my last post, you'll know that there is supposed to be a thrust washer in the nose of the pump, under the circlip. It needs to be 14.5 mm OD x 2 mm thick.


I had a bit of 3/4" EN11 in the lathe to make a late-pattern QD hub nut spanner, so I've used a bit to make the thrust washer:


I've left the pip in it to make it easier to get out. Next, the pump drive lock washer - the inner tang fits in a groove (like a keyway only less deep) in the end of the crankshaft. The tang on the new one is much wider than the remains of the one on the old washer  - time to get the needle files out:


With that in place, we can knock the tab washer down. On the crankshaft, I have bent the washer over both the lock nut and the pump drive sleeve:


For the record, the cam drive tab washer is knocked down too:


I've also finished polishing the timing cases:


I had to clean a lot of carbon off the timed breather sleeve before it would fit, and relieve a pip on the outside. It's fitted with the thickest cork washer available (5/32") and the gasket is coated with Wellseal. I've only done the inner face for the moment as I will want to take it off again.


Test fit:

That's it for now. Next I will probably fit the dynamo drive sprocket and it's seal, but then to do any more in here I need the dynamo and the Automatic Timing Device. Both of these bits need rebuilding.

No comments:

Post a Comment