Friday, 11 March 2016

Temperature Testing

So, I've planned out a series of temperature tests, to examine the temperatures at which various parts of the engine are running.

The objective is to discover whether all the cylinders are running at consistent temperatures or whether there is evidence of higher temperatures on one or two cylinders, which might indicate excessive friction.

I'm using an infra-red thermometer to measure the temperatures. It has a measurement range of between -50°C and 550°C (between -58°F and 1022°F); you just pull the trigger, it lights the laser to enable you to aim the unit and it will display the temperature on the back. The display illuminates at the same time, and it will hold the value display while you pull the trigger.



The results sheet show details of each test and of the results. I have shown some calculations as I want to record the temperature differences between the cylinders.



Many folk have written about how these engines will see 250-350°F at the top end. Mark Walsh's experience steadies my nerves:

This is pretty much what my own Four is doing at the moment, with considerably less miles on the clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment