Tuesday 21 November 2023

FH - Finishing the crankshaft

In our last post, we determined that the big end clearances were good. At the same time, I checked the new gudgeon pins in the small ends and found those to be good too, so with the sludge trap cleaned and assembled some time ago we can commit to closing up the big ends with the proper big end nuts. These are £3 each, and can only be used once.

We torque them up to 22 lbf.ft, or about 29 Nm using the Draper 3/8" torque wrench.


I took the chance to clean the crankshaft down again with some brake & clutch cleaner and dropped it into the drive side crankcase half which I had laid out over the hole in my bench:


Here's another view, showing the new 356 camshaft as fitted to BSA A10 Road Rockets and early Super Rockets.


Tomorrow, I'll use some Threebond 1215 to seal the crankcase halves. Meanwhile, I need to sort out the bolts to hold the cases together. I have this lovely box of studs from Acme Stainless:


This sketch, from Draganfly's 'List 15' (a very useful document) shows where the studs go:



No comments:

Post a Comment