Thursday 5 September 2024

FH - cam followers

After a 60 mile round trip on the Square Four which left me worrying about its coupling gears I decided to have another look at the cam followers in the Huntmaster. I had refinished the wearing surfaces to true them up but I knew that one of the followers had worn through the case hardening. I decided to stop messing about and get some replacement followers.

These are available as an exchange part from Draganfly Motorcycles and they came very quickly, in a couple of days. Refitting is very simple and I replaced the barrel with a layer of Wellseal on the gasket.


Before I did this however I wanted to make sure that the cams were going to be properly lubricated on startup so I used my oil can to make sure the channel under the camshaft was full of oil as you can see in the picture below.


With the barrel fitted, I could oil the followers from above:


I threw the pushrods in to start understanding how difficult they would be to fit. I once spent ages chasing a valve timing problem on the Square Four only to find that I had the pushrods in the wrong followers!

No comments:

Post a Comment