Sunday 8 September 2024

FH - preparing the primary drive

There are a lot of work faces appearing on the bike now the cylinder head is ready to go on; the timing side can be assembled once the automatic timing device is finished and the primary side can have the clutch fitted and the primary chain built up. For no particular reason I've elected to start on the primary side mainly because I don't have the bench space at the moment to do the ATC. Here I've fitted the 19 tooth standard gearbox sprocket with a spare secondary chain and torqued up the big nut.

 
The spare length of chain I had knocking about was too short so I've taken this unusual approach of wiring it through the holes in the sprocket just to allow me to use the back brake to tighten up the gearbox sprocket nut.

With that done we can start looking at fitting the inner primary case half. What's different about this bike is that it's fitted with the fully enclosed rear chain case (FERC) something I have not yet experienced on an Ariel. There are a couple of unusual mounting points, one of which is this nut which is attached to the front half of the FERC.


It's a 1/4 in CEI bolt which needs a special tab washer to retain it to the inner primary chain case casting and to prevent it coming undone, dropping into your primary drive. The special lock washer is available from Draganfly but unfortunately I forgot to order one. I've made this one out of a piece of 0.9 mm sheet steel.

Here it is with the bolt tight and the tab washer folded up.


For the record I have fitted that 1/4" BSW screw with low strength threadlock from Loctite. The castellated nut retaining the engine shaft shock absorber will need a split pin to prevent it falling off.


That's it for now; the next step will be to think about the clutch. I expect to find some parts that are in need of replacement so I'll have a look at the clutch soon to get those on order.

For now, let's just record that I fitted a new length of primary chain and an old spring link just for now. I'll have to order a new one. 


The other thing to bear in mind is that the chainwheel is rubbing on the oil catcher so I'll have to sort that out before I put primary case outer cover on.

No comments:

Post a Comment