Thursday 10 October 2024

Skiving Knife

As you know I have a diverse range of interests, though they are often linked in some way. When the Model A finally finds a space on the bench, it's going to need a seat cover and two leather 'front's' for the toolboxes, so I have a hankering to learn about leather working. I've also made one or two knives...

Leatherworking is one of many hobbies for which you can buy a huge range of tools with an equally huge range of qualities. I'm a beginner, unwilling to invest in some I may be no good at, and unsure of what tools are really useful. My wife bought a few old leatherworking awls, which I cleaned and sharpened, with a view to trimming an over-long belt that I have had for years, from the buckle end..

Remanufacturing the belt with the buckle in a different place involved slimming down the end of the belt to reduce the thickness of the leather - a process known as skiving.

Skiving is used in leatherwork especially in areas that are to be bent or folded and which must be pliable without becoming weakened. You really need a wide bladed knife for skiving; there are plenty of cheap ones available on eBay but of course you get what you pay for and they are unlikely to be made of decent steel. As you know I've made a few knives and it was a simple matter to make one of my own from a piece of 40 mm wide 1095 knife steel.


As usual I drew out the pattern on a piece of paper stuck to the steel. This is 3 mm thick flat bar to provide a stiff and heavy knife. The profile was cut out with the hacksaw and filed to shape. 

I cut the primary bevel on the linisher before heating the blade area cherry red in the furnace and the quenching in oil.


Whilst the blade has yet to be tempered it takes an edge very well and it's perfectly suited to the job it was designed for. 


No comments:

Post a Comment