Saturday 12 October 2024

FH - where are we?

 A bit of a boring post, but I just need to catch up with where I am. I have four work faces with various bits on order and I’ll summarise where I am in order to work out what to do next:

  1. Engine: waiting to fit the rocker box and the ATD. I need a couple of replacement studs for the rocker box/head/head steady connection which I’ll make on the lathe. I’ll spin the engine to get the oil circulating before fitting the rocker box, and I’ll fit the ATD when the rocker box is fitted.
  2. Oil System: waiting to finish the connection of the chain oiler and rocker box pipes, and clean the oil tank, before finally fixing the oil tank in place. I’ve ordered the running in oil and the SAE 40 for later. I’ll need to put a cupful in the sump (probably through the rocker box drains) and to fill the return filter through the hose.
  3. Gearbox: I’ve made the new pushrod from 5/16” silver steel; I have the gasket and the ball; I’m going to spin the engine on the mainshaft nut to get the oil system working and once I have done that I can fill the gearbox and put the kickstart case cover back on.
  4. Clutch: waiting for the gearbox to go back together for testing. May need new corks, which are in stock.
  5. Chains: primary is in, tensioned but not oiled; secondary has a dummy fitted.
  6. Exhausts: waiting for the clutch dome and timing covers to go on.
  7. Electrics: I’ve reviewed the wiring diagram, estimated the cable lengths and ordered the cables, bullets, straps and sleeving. The dynamo is not connected up yet (mechanically or electrically), but it works.
  8. Control Cables: There’s nothing stopping me making the cables for the carburetter, though  the clutch cable needs to wait for the gearbox case to go back together.
  9. Wheels & tyres: these are parked until the machine is running.
That about sums it up. Opportunities today are:
  1. Make some rocker box studs
  2. Start wiring the dashboard
  3. Finish the oil pipes and clean the tank
  4. Fit the rear chain

Every blog post needs a picture, even an old one!

No comments:

Post a Comment