Sunday 23 February 2020

QR50 - Fork Dust Excluder

I'd planned to fit gaiters to my QR50 forks, but have been unable to find any to fit other than Bantam D1 gaiters, which are a ridiculous price. The alternative plan was to replicate the Honda style rubber cap used in the '70's and '80's. Since I have no rubber moulding materials or 3D printer I thought I would machine a pair from Acetal.

This is what I came up with. They are a close fit on the stanchion for a very short length (2 mm) since I don't want the stanchions to bind in them and dislodge them. Here's one I made earlier:


The drawing shows my design. The cap features an O ring groove to provide sufficient friction to hold the cap in the slider:


Here's the bit that goes inside the slider with the O ring in place. From this stage, the caps were parted off and reversed in the lathe to machine the chamfer on the other side and to finish the stepped internal bore:


Two caps in place - looking more like a pair of fork legs now:


No comments:

Post a Comment